This is a post of reminders and tips about the upcoming solo and ensemble festival on Saturday, Dec. 5 at Scranton Middle School in Brighton. There are some very specific rules for this performance:
1) You must bring an original copy of the music with you (not a photocopy). If you are unsure of whether or not you have this, please see Mr. Shaw. The original copy will be given to the judge on Saturday. It must also have every measure numbered.
2) Your piece (or pieces if you're playing more than one) must add up to at least 1 1/2 minutes. You must time yourself to make sure of this. If you are under the time minimum, you'll be disqualified from receiving a rating.
3) Make sure you figure out your travel arrangements in advance. It takes about 45 minutes to get to Scranton MS, and you'll want to arrive about 3o minutes before your scheduled performance time.
4) Dress nicely--jeans and tennis shoes are not acceptable for this festival.
5) When you arrive at the school, go to the information table and find out where your warm-up room is. Once there, check in with the warm-up room judge. They'll help you know when it's time to play.
6) You need to meet with Mr. Shaw twice this week to make sure you are ready to perform. You should also play the piece for your family and friends. The more you perform, the less nervous you'll be.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Shaw at (248) 837-8319.
Here are directions to the site:
Directions to Scranton MS